Main Article Content
Body Mass Index, , Calcium, , Obesity ,, Bodyweight.
Background; Calcium is necessary nutrient for normal growth and development. The study aimed to document the normal values of serum calcium levels in healthy Sudanese adults in gezira state and its relation to the body mass index (BMI).
Patients and Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted during 2018 to 2021 in Gezira state on 534 adults,42.3% (226) were males and 57.7% (308) were females, age ranged from 20 and 60 years. A questionnaire was used for data collection to assess the essential demographic data. Three ml of blood was collected in heparin vacuum tubes and serum calcium was measured by Calcium-O-Cresolphthalein Complex one colorimetric method. Statistical analysis was done using SPSS version (23). BMI was calculated as the weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared (kg/m2). The participants were further grouped into four groups based on BMI as follows: underweight, normal, overweight and obese.
Results: The mean serum calcium levels of participants with overweight and obese were (9.58± 0.68, 9.75 ± 0.64) respectively, for females (9.42 ± 0.63, 9.47 ± 0.62) respectively, for males as compared to (9.43 ± 0.72,9.52 ± 0.79) for females (9.26 ± 0.67, 9.35 ± 0.72) for males with underweight and normal BMI, respectively. BMI correlated positively and significantly with serum calcium levels in obese individuals (r = 0.72, P = 0.00).
Conclusion: Our study revealed that, serum calcium is positively associated with BMI in both sexes. Micronutrients such as calcium should be considered in the management of obesity/overweight.
2. Kamycheva E, Sundsfjord J, and Jorde R. Serum parathyroid hormone level is associated with body mass index. The 5th tromso study. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2004;151(2):167–172.
3. Song Q. and Sergeev IN. Calcium and vitamin D in obesity. Nutrition Research Reviews. 2012;25(1):130–141.
4. Akter N, Akhter A, Hossain M, Deb S, Khan M, Shahjadi S. and Begum R. Relationship of serum calcium level with basal metabolic index & hip circumference in obese females of reproductive age. Journal of Dhaka Medical College .2011;20(2):141–145.
5. Hill JO, Catenacci V, and Wyatt HR. Obesity: Overview of an epidemic. Psychiatric Clinics. 2005;28(1):1–23.
6. Pradeepa R, Anjana RM, Joshi SR, Bhansali A, Deepa M, Joshi PP, Dhandania VK, Madhu SV, Rao PV, and Geetha L. Prevalence of generalized & abdominal obesity in urban & rural India-the icmr-indiab study (phase-i)[icmr-indiab-3].The Indian Journal of Medical Research. 2015.142(2):139.
7. Rosolova H, Mayer Jr O, and Reaven G. Insulin-mediated glucose disposal are decreased in normal subjects with relatively low plasma magnesium concentrations. Metabolism. 2000;49(3):418–420.
8. Ren XH, Yao Y-S, He L-P, Jin Y-l, Chang W-W, Li J, Chen Y, Song X-l, Tang H, and Ding L-l. Overweight and obesity associated with increased total serum calcium level: Comparison of cross-sectional data in the health screening for teaching faculty. Biological trace element research. 2013;156(1):74–78.
9. Shahkhalili Y, Murset C, Meirim I, Duruz E, Guinchard S, Cavadini C, and Acheson K. Calcium supplementation of chocolate: Effect on cocoa butter digestibility and blood lipids in humans. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2001;73(2):246–252.
10. Jacobsen R, Lorenzen J, Toubro S, Krog-Mikkelsen I. and Astrup A. Effect of short-term high dietary calcium intake on 24-h energy expenditure, fat oxidation, and fecal fat excretion. International Journal of Obesity. 2005;29(3):292–301.
11. Zemel MB, Shi H, Greer B, Dirienzo D. and Zemel P. C. Regulation of adiposity by dietary calcium. The FASEB Journal. 2000;14(9):1132–1138.
12. Zemel MB., Kim JH., Woychik RP, Michaud EJ, Kadwell SH, Patel IR, and Wilkison WO. Agouti regulation of intracellular calcium: Role in the insulin resistance of viable yellow mice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 1995;92(11):4733–4737.
13. Pinhas-Hamiel O, Newfield R, Koren I, Agmon A, Lilos P, and Phillip M. Greater prevalence of iron deficiency in overweight and obese children and adolescents. International journal of obesity. 2003;27(3):416–418.
14. Sunita M. and Puspa S. Assessment of serum calcium level in obesity in Indian population. International Journal of Biochemistry. 2017;4(36-39.
15. Landin-Wilhelmsen K, Wilhelmsen L, Lappas G., Rosen T, Lindstedt G, Lundberg P.-A, Wilske J. and Bengtsson B.-Å. Serum intact parathyroid hormone in a random population sample of men and women: Relationship to anthropometry, lifestyle factors, blood pressure, and vitamin d. Calcified Tissue International. 1995;56(2):104–108.
16. Dalfardi O, Jahandideh D, and Ranjbar OG. H. The correlation between serum calcium level and obesity; is there any explanation. GMJ.2013.1(2).
17. Shah P. and Chayhan A. Impact of obesity on vitamin d and calcium status. International Journal of Medical Reviews. 2016;4(275–280).
18. Mohamed NAA. Fasting blood glucose, uric acid, and calcium levels of obese Sudanese women aged 40-50 years: Case study (wad medani) area. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012; 5(2):1–3.
19. Hamoui N, Anthone G, and Crookes PF. Calcium metabolism in the morbidly obese. Obesity Surgery. 2004;14(1):9–12.
20. Ekweogu CN, Egwurugwu JN, Ohamaeme MC, Ugwuezumba PC, Nwankpa P, and Azudialu B. C. Relationship between body mass index and serum calcium and magnesium in an adult population in owerri, nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Experimental and Clinical Biosciences. 201;6(1):13.
21. Taneli F, Yegane S, Ulman C, Tikiz H, Bilge AR, Ari Z, and Uyanik BS. Increased serum leptin concentrations in patients with chronic stable angina pectoris and st-elevated myocardial infarction. Angiology. 2006;57(3):267–272.
22. Charradi K, Elkahoui S, Limam F, and Aouani E. High-fat diet induced an oxidative stress in white adipose tissue and disturbed plasma transition metals in rat: Prevention by grape seed and skin extract. The Journal of Physiological Sciences. 2013;63(6):445–455.
23. Shi H., DiRienzo D. and Zemel M. B. Effects of dietary calcium on adipocyte lipid metabolism and body weight regulation in energy‐restricted ap2‐agouti transgenic mice. The FASEB Journal. 2001;15(2):291–293.