Main Article Content
COVID-19, Hemodialysis, Dialysis Unit, Mortality Rate
Background and objectives: SARS-CoV-2 may affect the hemodialysis population as well as be possibly associated with their higher mortality rate. The objectives of the study were to describe the clinical presentations, assess laboratory markers, and risk factors for mortality.
Methods: This was an observational single-center retrospective study of two hemodialysis units in Basra from May 1, 2020 to June 1, 2020.
Results: Among the 11 patients, four (36.4%) died. Compared to the survivors, non-survivors had significantly longer dialysis vintage (16 ± 14.7 vs 9 ± 5.2; P = 0.048) and lower day 10 lymphocyte count (3.75 ± 0.96 vs 9.4 ± 5.6; P = 0.036). Age and laboratory parameters were not associated with the increased hazard risk for death.
Conclusions: The SARS-CoV-2 infection in hemodialysis units was linked with a high mortality rate.
Keywords: COVID-19, Hemodialysis, Dialysis Unit, Mortality Rate.
2. Grasselli G, Zangrillo A, Zanella A, Antonelli M, Cabrini L, Castelli A, et al. Baseline characteristics and outcomes of 1591 patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 admitted to ICUs of the Lombardy Region, Italy. JAMA. 2020;323(16):1574–81.
3. Yi Y, Lagniton PNP, Ye S, Li E, Xu R-H. COVID-19: what has been learned and to be learned about the novel coronavirus disease. Int. J. Biol. Sci. 2020;16(10):1753–66.
4. Madjid M, Safavi-Naeini P, Solomon SD, Vardeny O. Potential effects of coronaviruses on the cardiovascular system: a review. JAMA Cardiol. 2020;5(7):831–40.
5. Wang R, Liao C, He H, Hu C, Wei Z, Hong Z, et al. COVID-19 in hemodialysis patients: a report of 5 cases. Am J Kidney Dis. 2020;76(1):141–3.
6. Ma Y, Diao B, Lv X, Zhu J, Liang W, Liu L, et al. COVID-19 in hemodialysis (HD) patients: report from one HD center in Wuhan, China. medRxiv. 2020:2020.02.24.20027201.
7. Rombolà G, Heidempergher M, Pedrini L, Farina M, Aucella F, Messa P, et al. Practical indications for the prevention and management of SARS-CoV-2 in ambulatory dialysis patients: lessons from the first phase of the epidemics in Lombardy. J Nephrol. 2020;33(2):193–6.
8. Trujillo H, Caravaca-Fontán F, Sevillano Á, Gutiérrez E, Caro J, Gutiérrez E, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infection in hospitalized patients with kidney disease. Kidney Int Rep. 2020;5(6):905–9.
9. Rodriguez-Morales AJ, Cardona-Ospina JA, Gutiérrez-Ocampo E, Villamizar-Peña R, Holguin-Rivera Y, Escalera-Antezana JP, et al. Clinical, laboratory and imaging features of COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2020;34:101623.
10. Wang R, Liao C, He H, Hu C, Wei Z, Hong Z, et al. COVID-19 in hemodialysis Patients: a report of 5 Cases. AJKDD. 2020;76(1):141–3.
11. Gautret P, Lagier JC, Parola P, Hoang VT, Meddeb L, Mailhe M, et al. Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020:105949.
12. Geleris J, Sun Y, Platt J, Zucker J, Baldwin M, Hripcsak G, et al. Observational study of hydroxychloroquine in hospitalized patients with COVID-19. NEJM. 2020;382(25):2411–8.
13. Zhai P, Ding Y, Wu X, Long J, Zhong Y, Li Y. The epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2020;55(5):105955.
14. Russell CD, Millar JE, Baillie JK. Clinical evidence does not support corticosteroid treatment for 2019-nCoV lung injury. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):473–5.
15. Wu C, Chen X, Cai Y, Xia Ja, Zhou X, Xu S, et al. Risk factors associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome and death in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA Intern Med. 2020;180(7):934–43.
16. Li T. Diagnosis and clinical management of severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection: an operational recommendation of Peking Union Medical College Hospital (V2.0). Emerg Microbes Infect. 2020;9(1):582–5.
17. Dexamethasone in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 — Preliminary Report. NEJM. 2020.
18. Tang N, Bai H, Chen X, Gong J, Li D, Sun Z. Anticoagulant treatment is associated with decreased mortality in severe coronavirus disease 2019 patients with coagulopathy. J Thromb Haemost. 2020;18(5):1094–9.
19. Goicoechea M, Sánchez Cámara LA, Macías N, Muñoz de Morales A, Rojas Á G, Bascuñana A, et al. COVID-19: clinical course and outcomes of 36 hemodialysis patients in Spain. Kidney Int. 2020;98(1):27–34.
20. Scarpioni R, Manini A, Valsania T, De Amicis S, Albertazzi V, Melfa L, et al. COVID-19 and its impact on nephropathic patients: the experience at Ospedale “Guglielmo da Saliceto” in Piacenza. G Ital Nefrol. 2020;37(2).
21. Alberici F, Delbarba E, Manenti C, Econimo L, Valerio F, Pola A, et al. Management of patients on dialysis and with kidney transplantation during the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic in Brescia, Italy. Kidney Int. 2020;5(5):580–5.