Main Article Content
Glutathion, skin whitening, skin bleaching, hyperpigmentation manangement, iraq, Basrah
Objective: To review and compare the efficacy of glutathione formulations as skin-whitening agents in adults participating in several clinical studies.
Methods: Using a MEDLINE search with the time frame specified up to March 2020 , seven clinical studies involving GSH use for lightening the skin were recognized and assessed for significance and validity.
Results: Four controlled clinical trials (GSH capsules: 60 healthy volunteers; 250 mg oral GSH capsules:60; 2% glutathione lotion: 30s healthy volunteers; GSH as wash:74 healthy volunteers) and a case series(GSH lozenges: 30 patients) showed a significant reduction in melanin index. A case series (GSH soap: 15 patients) revealed a skin-lightening effect based on photography. Only one placebo-controlled study on IV GSH (1200 mg) in 60 healthy volunteers demonstrated a poor effect of glutathione as a whitening agent.
Conclusion: The literature search revealed that glutathione is not useful enough as a skin-whitening agent, as it is only effective on some parts of the skin and did not present any long-lasting effect. Although the safety profile of topical and oral glutathione seemed to be good, long-term research studies employing better study design are required in order to evaluate the efficacy of this antioxidant.
2. Dickinson DA, Forman HJ. Glutathione in defense and signaling: Lessons from a small thiol. Ann N Y AcadSci 2002;973:488-504
3. Aoyama K, Suh SW, Hamby AM, et al. Neuronal glutathione deficiency and age-dependent neurodegeneration in the EAAC1 deficient mouse. Nat Neurosci 2006;9(1):119-126. DOI:10.1038/ nn1609
4. Aoyama K, Nakaki T. Impaired glutathione synthesis in neurodegeneration. Int J MolSci 2013;14(10):21021-21044. DOI:10.3390/ijms141021021
5. Schafer FQ, Buettner GR. Redox environment of the cell as viewed through the redox state of the glutathione disulfide/glutathione couple. Free RadicBiol Med 2001;30(11):1191-1212. DOI:10.1016/ s0891-5849(01)00480-4
6. Dickinson DA, Forman HJ. Glutathione in defense and signaling. Ann N Y AcadSci 2002;973(1):488504. DOI:10.1111/j.1749-6632.2002.tb04690.x
7. Townsend DM, Tew KD, Tapiero H. The importance of glutathione in human disease. Biomed Pharmacother 2003;57(3-4):145-155. DOI:10.1016/s0753-3322(03)00043-x
8. Treweeke A, Winterburn T, Mackenzie I, et al. N-acetylcysteine inhibits platelet–monocyte conjugation in patients with type 2 diabetes with depleted intraplatelet glutathione: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia 2012;55(11):2920-2928. DOI:10.1007/s00125-012-2685-z
9. Frustaci A, Neri M, Cesario A, et al. Oxidative stress-related biomarkers in autism: Systematic review and meta-analyses. Free Rad Biol Med 2012;52(10):2128-2141. DOI:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2012.03.011
10. Main P, Angley MT, O’Doherty CE, Thomas P, Fenech M. The potential role of the antioxidant and detoxification properties of glutathione in autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review and metaanalysis. NutrMetab (Lond) 2012;9(1):35. DOI:10.1186/1743-7075-9-35
11. Loui A, Raab A, Maier RF, Brätter P, Obladen M. Trace elements and antioxidant enzymes in extremely low birthweight infants. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2010;24(2):111-118. DOI:10.1016/j.jtemb.2009.11.004
12. Solmi M, Veronese N, Manzato E, et al. Oxidative stress and antioxidant levels in patients with anorexia nervosa: A systematic review and exploratory meta‐analysis. Int J Eat Disord 2015;48(7):826-841. DOI:10.1002/eat.22443.
13. Dickinson DA, Forman HJ. Glutathione in defense and signaling: Lessons from a small thiol. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002;973:488-504.
14. Exner R, Wessner B, Manhart N, Roth E. Therapeutic potential of glutathione. Wien KlinWochenschr. 2000;112:610-616
15. Zubair S, Hafeez S, Mujtaba G. Efficacy of intravenous glutathione vs. placebo for skin tone lightening. J Pak Ass Dermatol. 2016;26:177-181
16. Arjinpathana N, Asawanonda P. Glutathione as an oral whitening agent: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Dermatolog Treat. 2012;23:97-102.
17. Handog EB, Datuin MS, Singzon IA.An open-label, single-arm trial of the safety and efficacy of a novel preparation of glutathione as a skin-lightening agent in Filipino women.Int J Dermatol. 2016;55:153-157
18. Weschawalit S, ongthip S, Phutrakool P,Asawanonda P. Glutathione and its antiaging and antimelanogenic effects. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology.2017;10( 10), 147–153.
19. Watanabe F, Hashizume E, Chan GP, Kamimura A. Skin-whitening and skin-condition-improving effects of topical oxidized glutathione: A double-blind and placebo-controlled clinical trial in healthy women. ClinCosmetInvestigDermatol 2014;7:267. DOI:10.2147/ccid.s68424
20. KristianaE,DwiRetno A,1 Devi ArtamiS,YusukeS,HitomiI.the efficacy of skin care products containing glutathione in delivering skin lightening in Indonesian women .Dermatology Reports. 2019; 11(s1):8013
21. Sriharsha M, Reddy KN, Darsini TP, Reddy KS. Glutathione as a whitening agent in the treatment of melanosis of the face.Int J Pharm Drug Res 2015;5(1):1-6.
22. J. J. Nordlund and R. Boissy, “*e biology of melanocytes,” in -e Biology of the Skin, R. K. Freinkel and D. T. Woodley, Eds., pp. p113–30, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
23. Watanabe F, Hashizume E, Chan G P, and KamimuraA.Skin-whitening and skin-condition-improving effects of topical oxidized glutathione: a double-blind and placebocontrolled clinical trial in healthy women. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology.2014;267: 267–274.
24. Masaki H. Role of antioxidants in the skin: anti-aging effects. Journal of Dermatological Science, 2010; 58( 2):95–90.
25. Sonthalia S, Daulatabad D, Sarkar R. Glutathione as a skin whitening agent: facts, myths, evidence and controversies. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology.2016; 82( 3):262–272.
26. Villarama CD, Maibach HI. Glutathione as a depigmenting agent: an overview. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2005;27:147-153
27. Gould RL, Pazdro R. Impact of supplementary amino acids, micronutrients, and overall diet on glutathione homeostasis. Nutrients .2019; 11:1055-1056.